wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, November 18, 2012

exhaustion

Blake and I are exhausted, and while the reasons for our weariness are different on the surface, they share the same roots: Hurricane Sandy.

Since the superstorm struck, Blake has been coordinating relief efforts not only for members of our ward, but also for those in the community who are not of our faith. Several low-lying areas within our stake boundaries, classified by the city as Zone A, were expected to flood, and as such the residents of these neighborhoods were mandated to evacuate. Some did, some didn't, but whatever their choice was, the floods came, and in some places even higher than expected. Once the storm passed, the damage was assessed and clean up began.

The demand for help has been great, and the response to the call for volunteers to help has been just as impressive. Blake and many other leaders in the ward spend long hours every day on the phone or at the computer helping to organize the relief efforts, and every Saturday and Sunday, when they're not leading regular church services, they spend their time out in the field, tearing mildewing drywall and carpet out of flooded homes. I hardly see Blake anymore, and I'm sure other wives are feeling the same way!

Areas outside our immediate ward boundaries like Breezy Point in the Rockaways and Staten Island are getting incredible news coverage, and members in their yellow Mormon Helping Hands shirts are flocking to help. But the needs in the Bensonhurst Ward, which covers Coney Island and Brighton Beach are also immense. Included in our boundaries is the nearly forgotten about community of Gerritsen Beach, which, because of its Zone B classification, was not evacuated. (Why it is a Zone B, I'll never know. A basic map clearly indicates that it is surrounded by water.) But the flooding there was among the worst, with flood waters filling not only homes' basements, but also 6-8 feet of the first floors. Most of these homes are inhabited by elderly people who over the years have collected lots of things, which, now that they've been ruined, need to be removed.

But they can't do it themselves. Just yesterday a quick survey by stake leaders of the community indicated nearly 100 households that desperately needed help with the necessary clean-up. It's been a challenge to recruit volunteers from more well-known Breezy Point and Staten Island to come into unknown parts of Brooklyn, but today, as church was starting in the chapel for those of us who couldn't go out and serve (the pews were filled almost solely with women and children), the rest of building was the starting point for hundreds of volunteers from around the tri-state area who had answered Blake's desperate plea for help. It really is heartwarming to watch this kind of service in action.




Meanwhile, I've been at home with the boys, trying to keep ourselves from missing our busy (and therefore pretty much absent) husband and father. Yesterday I toted the boys along on an excursion of errands, most of which were reached on foot. Here's what we accomplished:













1. Quick stop at a playground to keep the boys happy.
2. Returned books at the library.
3. A few purchases in the Chinese supermarket, plus a little "zoo trip" in the live seafood department.
4. CVS to pick up a prescription and get my flu shot.
5. 3 Guys From Brooklyn produce market to buy oranges and chocolate covered pretzels.
6. Hop on the subway (where we ate oranges and chocolate covered pretzels). Ride it all the way back to the opposite end of the neighborhood.
7. Staples to pick up a few office supplies.
8. Century 21 Home Department to get Garrett a new umbrella (his old one broke in our recent nor'easter).
9. Century 21 Clothing Store to get Garrett a new dress shirt.

And home! Wow, that was a lot of walking! Surprisingly the boys -- all three of 'em! -- were helpful angels throughout the entire trek. Not surprisingly, they each fell asleep moments after tucking them in for bed.

I don't know when these relief efforts will wind up. They'll probably continue until Christmas at least. So until they do, life for us in these parts will continue in a similar vein. It is exhausting -- neither Blake nor I can hardly think straight anymore -- but when there's a need, action must be taken, whether it's out in the trenches or supporting those in the trenches by keeping things moving on the homefront. And we're privileged to be a part of it.

8 comments:

Sarah Kay said...

Hang in there. Your efforts are well worth it. I would love to live closer to help with the kids or to pitch in. Is there anything that can be done for your ward members from afar?

Eric said...

An echo to let us know if there is anything we can do to help from afar. Our prayers are still with you guys! If it does take until Christmas (and maybe beyond) for all of the cleanup, you are definitely acting the part of angels to so many in this holiday season.

jeanine said...

Wow! That's quite a bit you got done! I"m impressed! Seriously, I don't think I'd attempt to do all that in a car.
And I would love to know if there is anything we could do from down here.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras said...

I agree with the others. Hang in there! And is the best way to help to donate to the church, or is there something else we could do from afar? Let us know, and maybe something could be coordinated.

AmyJane said...

Oh, oh, oh. You are so amazing, and I know how great it is to serve but really, you must be so exhausted.

heath said...

That video is hard to watch--can't believe how devastating it must be to lose everything. Good luck to you and your hubby as the clean-up efforts continue.

JoEllen said...

That video really is amazing! I wish you and Blake continued strength as these clean up efforts continue.

melissa @ 1lbr said...

Thanks for the update - I really enjoy hearing about your family's efforts to help all those people! Just think what your kids will learn by your examples.