- Parent Teacher Conferences. This meeting went much better than I expected -- or at least much better than I'd braced myself for. Garrett's doing great. His teachers think he's a sweet boy, though they're glad that he's toughened up a little since the first few weeks of school and is therefore not crying so frequently. They even told me that he handled the most recent fire drill like a pro! As far as academics go, he needs to work on staying focused when he counts so he can do so with more precision, but he's catching onto phonics really quickly and has impressed them with his knowledge of sight words. Both were pretty much what I expected to hear based on what I've observed at home.
- Open School hours. The next day parents were welcome to come to the classroom to observe a typical day. I was able to find a sitter for the siblings who were not invited and so was able to go. His class is darling -- even the infamous Dante who I hear "shocking" stories about from Garrett on a daily basis. Garrett fits in perfectly with his peers and by all accounts is thriving, both socially and academically.
- Class Thanksgiving party. This event, which was more of a small, organized brunch than a party, was a rescheduling of the class Halloween party that had been cancelled because of the hurricane. Parents were invited to attend and help, and it was nice to get to interact with the other moms and dads beyond what I see of them in the schoolyard at pick up time.
These visits have taught me three things:
- Garrett is in a really good place. I always walk away from that school feeling that he is supposed to be there and is getting well taken care of.
- Brooklynites simultaneously frighten and fascinate me -- especially the mothers I meet in the schoolyard at pick up time who have an Italian heritage. They are tough ladies who mean business, and the accent just nails the image together. Part of me wants to be just like them, while the rest of me wants to run away as fast as I can.
- I wish I was in kindergarten again. Seriously, that curriculum is awesome.
1 comment:
Aw, your kidlets are so dear and adorable. You know that, but when I see them, it makes me smile. I like seeing Caleb find interesting things to keep him occupied during Sacrament Meeting when you're holding Matthew by the door. That's right when T begs to go and sit by him then coos at Matthew. :) I like the updates. When I go to my kids first Parent Teacher Conferences prepare myself emotionally, then when I hear great things I'm amazed and incredibly thankful.
Post a Comment