We happened to catch "the most exciting two minutes in sports" on Saturday evening when a bit of channel surfing landed us on coverage of the Kentucky Derby. There are several things I really like about watching the distinguished race at Churchill Downs:
- The names of the contending horses. Some of my favorites this year were I'll Have Another (who also won), Take Charge Indy, Rousing Sermon, and Done Talking. Seriously, where do they come up with these?
- The ostentatious hats donned by the southern belles sitting in the grandstand.
- The excuse it gives me to make Kentucky Derby Pie, which I did yesterday.
Kentucky Derby Pie
1 unbaked pie shell
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup pecans, chopped
6 oz chocolate chips (about 1 1/4 cups)
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Mix eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla together. Add cornstarch; blend slowly. Stir in pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into the pie shell and bake 40-45 minutes at 350. Serve warm with whipped cream or a la mode.
2 comments:
Lindsay... that sounds heavenly. As soon as we move I will have to try it!
I want to attend an event that requires a hat like those! Except I think I'd take royal wedding over the Derby, but whichever!
Post a Comment