Dear Caleb,
On the one hand, six is not a very big number. I often find myself forgetting that you are still very young, so if my expectations for you sometimes feel unrealistic, I apologize. But on the other hand, six is a big deal, and so are you. On this day six years ago, when you entered my life, and during those first moments that I held you in my arms, I knew that you were a special boy, a gift sent especially to me and to our family. How could I not expect great things of you? And, I'm pleased to tell you, you have lived up to a great many of them, and that makes me so proud.
You are a hard worker who is stubbornly determined. You are shy and sensitive and thoughtful of others. You are observant and bright and are destined, I know, for great things.
But you are not without your faults. You are a tease who is adept at finding and pushing other people's buttons. Your stubbornness has yet to be fully broken and it often gets you into trouble. Sometimes I feel that I have no other option than to throw up my hands in intense frustration with you. That gleam in your honey brown eyes and the sly upturn of your toothless smile just might drive me to an early grave. I would encourage you, Caleb, to continually strive to be better, to reach that full potential I know that is in you.
I love you, Caleb. I have always loved you and I always will love you. I encourage you to keep trying to be a good brother and obedient child. Remember to smile because your smile always brightens my day. Happy birthday, my sweet, sweet boy.
Love,
Mama
The birthday celebrations started a day early with a visit to the awesome Cincinnati Zoo.
The birthday banner and a small pile of presents greeted Caleb when he came downstairs in the morning.
After eyeing the box mix on several different trips to Target, Caleb desperately wanted me to make him a brightly colored tie dyed cake. Although it tasted fine, it didn't look particularly appetizing. In fact, after I garnished it with sprinkles and Dum-Dum sucker "balloons," it was only fitting that it was dubbed the Clown Cake. The things I do for my boys....
He blew out all six candles!
His bike, which he received as an early gift a few weeks ago, was his main gift. But it was accented today with a few smaller things -- a small pair of binoculars, a frisbee, a basketball, a horn for his bike, some Where's Waldo themed notebooks, and a few shirts from Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Dave, and a ten-spot from Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Gary. He's thrilled about each gift -- apparently all his dreams came through this year.
After the gifts were opened, we went outside to try out the frisbee. Even with the learning curve, it's a hit. And it doesn't hurt that they have a huge yard to play with it in.
1 comment:
Nothing goes better with a big yard than a Frisbee! So awesome. Happy Birthday!!!
Post a Comment