After weeks of listening to Caleb wonder aloud when we were ever going to go apple picking, we (finally) named Saturday as the day, put it in ink on our calendars, and made it happen. We drove out to
Ochs Orchard, our favorite apple picking spot in Warwick, NY, and the pickin's did not disappoint. We filled our bag full of tart and juicy Mcintoshes and Empires and, even though it felt more like summer than fall, we had a lot of fun doing so.
We rounded out the excursion with apple cider and cider donuts, which were delicious. Unfortunately, things went a little sour after that. Everyone was tired and, thanks to some back-to-school sniffles, also kind of whiny and cranky. Daniel was his usual inconsolable car seated self, and Matthew screamed for reasons I'm still unsure of until he finally threw up. So the drive home was really fun.
Back at home we bathed the boys (and hosed down Matthew's car seat), and that seemed to restore everyone's spirits. Daniel was especially dapper in his appliqued tie onesie, and since he slept through the apple orchard and was consequently not photographed there, he more than deserved a snapshot.
Freshly bathed and ready for a classy evening in.
"Pardon me while adorably adjust my 'tie.'"
And now it's time to start cooking/baking/eating. Even after giving some to our friends who weren't able to join us, we're still up to our eyeballs in apples. I'm thinking this year I'll make applesauce, apple crisp, and these adorable
miniature caramel apples. If you have any other suggestions or recipes, I am all ears.
1 comment:
I've been eyeing this recipe for a while....
http://thekitchenmccabe.com/2014/03/07/irish-apple-cake-with-custard-sauce/
Post a Comment