Christmas was magical at our house this year, as the holiday tends to be with young children around to enjoy it -- even despite the few Christmas Eve episodes of upset stomach that Garrett was dealing with that disrupted our annual Walk Around Dinner. (I must say, though, that a vomiting child isn't nearly so bad if they're able to make it to the bathroom unassisted.)
Santa was able to make a few dreams come true for everyone. Blake scored a book he's been wanting, as well as a nice pair of slippers. I think I won Best Gift, though, with the most amazing memory foam mattress topper. I have never slept so comfortably in all my life. After only one night on it (Blake gave it to me early), I can already assure you that it is a pregnant woman's dream come true.
Garrett had a scientific Christmas, with a few space related items and a kid's chemistry set. Caleb got the yo-yo he desperately wanted, but I think his favorite gift is the plush Linus doll from the Kohl's Cares line. Both bigger boys were also introduced to the world of real "little" Legos. Matthew, meanwhile, spent most of the day with his new Castleworks Marble Run as well as his new Snoopy doll.
After the excitement of the morning, we spent the day playing with and then trying to find homes for new toys amongst the old. We also fed a ham dinner to a companionship of elders, and spoke to my family via video call. It's been a good day.
But my original intent for this post was to share some of the gifts I made this year for loved ones. First up are the NYC subway tree ornaments that I gave to my parents and in-laws. I also made a set for our tree. I'd been wanting to make these for a few years now, and I really like how they turned out.
I've always felt a little guilty that the baby blanket I made for Garrett was mostly sewn before I knew I was pregnant and was therefore a little too floral and girly. When I found a space-themed panel at City Quilter a few months ago, I knew it would make for an awesome blanket for my first not-so-much-a-baby-anymore little boy. So that's what I made for Garrett. He's snuggling with it in his bed right now, and told me when I tucked him in that it was one of his favorite gifts. Score!
Caleb is all about imaginative play these days, and has been asking for an apron like Garrett's that was just for him. I made him one out of a tea towel.
When we were in Lancaster County, PA this summer, I found a panel of fabric to make a cloth book version of the Saggy Baggy Elephant. It didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped, but it's cute enough.
And that, in addition to a simple tree skirt I made from an old round red gingham tablecloth (and which I have no photo of; you'll see it, I imagine, in pictures of next year's tree) was my handmade Christmas. Not as DIY as some people shoot for, but it was almost more than I could handle. But I do so love making things for the people I love, especially when they love them in return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Looks like it was a fun Christmas! You make such lovely gifts.
Those ornaments! How do I get some. What's the address for your etsy shop! Seriously! Can I commission some? How much? And the baby book is adorable!
So are the ornaments stops along the route or are they subway lines?
Love the saggy baggy elephant book and the marble tower. What a great Christmas!
Wow Lindsay! Pregnant and you make all these things and act like it is not a big deal. It is amazing! :D
I loved the subway ornaments ... especially once I quit trying to "unscramble" the letters. Thank you!!! And, Saggy Baggy Elephant is one of my favorite stories.
Post a Comment