wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

tuesday


Though they do not usually involve flying frogs, Tuesdays have become my most harried days, and yesterday was no exception. Here is a timeline of what a typical Tuesday is like at our house, using yesterday as a case study.

6:30am - Wake up. Briefly consider the Cliffs of Insanity I must somehow climb today. Postpone the seeming impossibility of doing so by checking in on Facebook on my phone.

6:45am - Get all three boys up, dressed, and into the kitchen for breakfast.

7:20am - Once everyone is eating, gather up the sorted dirty laundry, detergent, and quarters. Haul it all to the laundromat and get the wash started.

7:50am - A hustling of morning prayer, the donning of coats and backpacks, and kisses goodbye as Blake takes Garrett and Caleb to school on his way to work.

8:00am - Walk with Matthew over to the laundromat to switch the loads.

8:45am - Leave Matthew, who woke up way too early, resting in his crib while I bring all the clean clothes back from the laundromat.

9:00am - Fold clothes and put them away.

10:30am - Pick Caleb up from school. Hand off both Caleb and Matthew to my friend, Lyndzee, to watch while I hurry over to Garrett's classroom to watch him in action during the school's annual Open School hours.

I wish I would have snapped a photo of the writing assignment he was working on. It was about his community and it was awesome. Hopefully it'll eventually get sent home.

11:30am - Pick up Caleb and Matthew and head directly over to Caleb's OT session. Feed them a sack lunch on the way.

11:45am-12:15pm - Hang out in the waiting room while Caleb does OT.

1:00pm - Matthew naps in his crib and I eat my lunch in the kitchen while Caleb does speech therapy in the living room.

2:00pm - Quiet time. Matthew continues to nap, Caleb busies himself playing Starfall on the computer, and I try to read in my room but end up falling asleep.

3:00pm - Bundle up to head over to pick Garrett up from school. (He has extended day on Mondays and Tuesdays, so we get an extra hour before we have to go get him. Obviously on Tuesdays, I desperately need that extra hour.)

3:45pm - After school snack (today: hot chocolate) to gear us all up for the approaching demon that is Homework Time.

4:15pm - Tackle homework, and spend the next hour plus trying to keep Garrett focused on the task at hand.

5:30pm - Let (make?) the boys play so I can rest briefly before it's time to start dinner.

6:00pm - Blake begins his commute home; I begin dinner prep.

7:00pm - Dinner time. I should take a picture sometime of what dinner looks like with all of us crammed around our tiny table in our tiny kitchen. It's a pretty insane affair.

7:30pm - Blake heads to the church for bishop interviews while I get the boys ready for and into bed.

8:00pm - Everyone has been tucked in (though I will have to continue to beg a few of them to stay in bed). But now that they are (mostly) out of my hair, I take care of a few business items on the computer.

8:30pm - Time to tackle the enormous mound of ironing, which I do while watching an old episode of Grey's Anatomy on Netflix.

9:30pm - Head to bed. Read for a little while before I crash shortly after Blake comes home a little after 10:00.


Luckily I have Wednesdays to recover because, with the exception of laundry, Thursdays look very much the same as Tuesdays.

2 comments:

AmyJane said...

Whoa, chica. This exhausts me. I am most impressed at the part where you are eating dinner at 7 and have kids in bed at 8. Whaaaa? How are you doing this bit of magic? We eat dinner at 5:30/6ish and it's still a good day if people are actually tucked and sleeping at 8!

Kimberly said...

Ditto to AmyJane! I am amazed at everything you do in a day! And, though I am not envious of you having to cart all of your clothes to a Laundromat, I am slightly jealous that you can have all of it cleaned and folded within a few hours!
I would love to see a picture of y'all crammed around that teeny table. I don't know how you do it! You are definitely some sort of super woman! And you still find time to blog on top of it all! Whew!