wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, September 9, 2013

first day

The first day of school. Sing with me -- It's the most wonderful day of the year! And this year I got to send TWO boys to school. Both of them were as thrilled as I were that they were heading back.

 Caleb was so excited, he couldn't stop bouncing.


Today was Garrett's first day of first grade.


And Caleb entered the New York City public school system as a half-day pre-kindergarten student.


Meanwhile, Matthew wasn't so sure what to make of all this early rising business and subsequent morning hustle and bustle.


Since it was the first day, the whole family walked to school together. (In the future, Blake will be taking them on his way to work.) Garrett was dropped off first, and he was genuinely thrilled to see so many of his friends from last year. Most of them are still together in the same class. Caleb, while undeniably excited to get to go to school this year, was a little more hesitant when we arrived at his classroom. He didn't want to let go of my hand. But then he saw his little friends, Jackson and Lola, and soon settled right in with the rest of his classmates on the rug.


And then I went home and relished my morning alone with Matthew. Every day from 8:00 to 10:30 will be our time, and I fully expect it to be quiet, peaceful, and fulfilling.

Enjoying some playtime without any big brothers in the way.

Almost as wonderful as my quiet morning were the boys' reports at pick-up time. Here's what they had to tell me about their first day:

Caleb: His teachers are nice and are named Ms. Adele, "the one with the white shirt" (Ms. Mimi), and "the one with the red shirt" (Ms. Kim). He got to play on the "dirtpurder" (computer) and "with numbers on a fishing pole." He used the potty two times and didn't need any help. After I picked him up and before we left the school yard, he played on the playground with his friends. He told me that he had "a happy day and not a sad one," and he's excited that he gets to go back again tomorrow.



Garrett: His teachers this year are named Mrs. Clinton and Mrs. Caramanico. When I met them at pick-up after school, they both seemed remarkably nice. One of the first things Garrett told me about his day was that "Mrs. Clinton said I'm a good artist!" They went to computers, but they weren't on so it was just a library day, and he got to see some of his friends who aren't in his class this year at lunch time, which made him happy. This year he sits at a desk of his own instead of at a table, and he's thrilled to have a "little shelf under the desk" to keep his things in.

I don't have any pictures of Garrett's pick-up because let me tell you -- it was a mad house! First day craziness on top of space crowded out by scaffolding and construction materials (they're still working on replacing all of the building's exterior bricks) made for a rather stressful time.

I made my requisite batch of First Day of School chocolate chip cookies, which we devoured once everyone was home, and which did much to top off a great day. Now we're all exhausted and just a little bit ready to crash. But never fear -- we're still ready to do it all again tomorrow!

3 comments:

Emily said...

Matthew's face!! And when did Matthew get to be a little boy???

AmyJane said...

I'm so happy for you! Isn't school just the best?

vdg family said...

I am so glad it went well! Caleb is with Lola and Jackson?! Yay! What great photos.