wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, July 8, 2013

crazy quilt, crazy quilter

It's done.

More than two-and-a-half years after I started, my crazy quilt is finally finished.


Was I crazy for embarking on such a project? Oh, yes.

Was I nuts for sewing about half of it by hand? Absolutely!

Is it filled with flaws and amateur mistakes? More than I'd care to admit.

It is a crazy Crazy Quilt, but I love it, quirks and all. It was so fun gathering fabric scraps to add to it, and embellishing it with bits of beautiful ribbon. I got to use the walking foot I received for my last birthday to quilt it on my little sewing machine, which I did along the seams ("stitch in the ditch," I believe it is called). The only downside to finishing a quilt in the high heat of summer is that I can't use it yet. But I will, oh I will -- just as soon as it cools down.


Will I ever make another crazy quilt? Probably not. Maybe another kind of scrap quilt (since I was left with piles of leftover scraps from this one), but this was a lot harder to put together than I initially thought it would be. I learned a lot in the process, and I did have fun making it, but I'll be honest -- it's a relief to finally have it completed. 

5 comments:

Emily said...

I bow to your domestic skillz. And I love the subway fabric! And I miss you.

Amy F. P. said...

How fun! I love it! I can relate with the relief of having a big project done. I'm so impressed that you sewed a lot of it by hand.

Peter and Mandy said...

That's a pretty awesome quilt!

amanda said...

How cool! I bet you'll get a lot of use out of it!

MOMster said...

What a great quilt! Now you can look just look at and enjoy it from here on out!