wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Sunday, May 8, 2016

danny is two

Dear Daniel,

I am a lucky mama to get to spend this Mother's Day celebrating your entrance into my life two years ago. I still recall every moment of your spectacular arrival, and every moment I've spent with you since has been just as spectacular in part because, Danny, you are a piece of work!

You've recently decided that you have opinions about everything, which is fine and to be expected, but thankfully a lot less frustrating to deal with now that your communication skills are improving. While I wouldn't call you a chatterbox, you're so far reaching speech milestones better than any of your older brothers, which for me is not only a relief but also a breath of fresh air. Added to your opinions is a growing desire for independence, made clear by your stubborn and frequent use of the phrase, "No! I do!"


Alongside the mischievously sly twinkle in your eye you wear the most contagious smile. You are so full of life and pretty easy to please. You love treats and going to the Child Watch at the YMCA. You love to be read to and you still carry around your beloved cloth and binky. I can't believe both how busy you are and how dedicated you are to your routine. You like things to be just so, and won't abandon your play without picking up after yourself first. You love to color -- on paper, on tables, on walls -- and you do so with your left hand. You are increasingly agile and can run wild, jump high, and manage stairs with the best of them.

As I write this, you are playing and laughing with your brothers, and listening to you tickles me, too. You bring such joy to our family, and I'm so grateful that you are mine.

Love,
Mama



Here is how we celebrated two years of Danny Boy:

He opened his big gift -- a big boy balance bike -- yesterday. He's almost too small for it, and is currently only able to shuffle along on it, but he loves it anyway, mostly because it makes him one of the big boys.

 I love how this shot captures how everyone came out to cheer him on during his first ride.


For other gifts, he got a set of animal figurines (that I spent many days collecting one by one with Hobby Lobby's one-use-per-day 40% off coupon -- it was a true labor of love), a mix-and-match monster book from Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Gary, and a set of Color Wonder markers and paper from Grandma Nancy and Grandpa Dave.


The fact that everyone kept wishing him a happy birthday and singing him the birthday song initially confused him and ultimately annoyed him, but when it came time to sing for the cake and ice cream, he was all over it!

   He loves candles, and blowing his out was his favorite part.

1 comment:

heath said...

What a fun age and milestone! Happy Birthday cute boy!