Happy 3rd Birthday, Matthew!
"Every family needs a Matthew." That's what I like to tell people. Even though in recent weeks you've been asserting yourself more forcefully, you are still so tender and mild-mannered, it's often very hard for me to resist sweeping you up, holding you close, and stroking your soft, soft cheeks.
Now that you are three, I'm suddenly noticing how tall you've grown, as well as how much more interested you've become in joining in with your big brothers and their goofy antics. I love your frequent plea of, "How 'bout me?" when you want to be included. You are a sharp little boy, and very observant. You love to put puzzles together, and you are forever sorting things by color and kind.
Your favorite thing to do each day is play. It is your work, and you are so good at it. Playdough, Legos, cars, animal figurines, kitchen toys, and magnets are some of your preferred things to play with; and they keep you busy for hours. You also love to have stories read to you -- and I love it when you curl up next to me to listen when I read them. When you pick the books, you almost always choose Mo Willems' Pigeon books. But as much as you love reading, you are a sucker for your shows. You're addicted to Mr. Rogers, Sesame Street, Blue's Clues, Little Bear, Curious George, Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, and anything with a minion in it.
Routine and familiarity are your two comfortable companions, along with your Snoopy and your cloth. Every day at lunch you request crackers, cheese, applesauce, and milk, after which you take a nap (though I think your napping days are slowly coming to a close). You like an order to things and get a little put out when something is different -- like when you see a toy put away in the wrong spot and shout, "Hey! That not belong here!"
But I love that your hand still belongs clasped in mine as we walk through the neighborhood. Every family needs a Matthew, and I'm so glad that we have you.
Love,
Mama
Matthew woke up to find his very own scooter.
Helping me make a birthday cake.
And sporting a chocolatey face in the process.
I made him a Ding-Dong cake (decorated with a Hostess cupcake swirl). Between the two cake layers was a layer of cream filling, and the whole thing was topped with a chocolate ganache. It was almost too tasty.
Opening a few more small presents.
Happy birthday, Matthew!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment