wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Monday, November 17, 2014

chipotle pork burrito bowls

Yesterday we attended church at the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott for Stake Conference. Our stake president's talk included city analogies such as the best pizza on earth (i.e. the pies they make here) as a metaphor for the Bread of Life. But his words, as much as I enjoyed them, could not sway my stomach, which had thoughts only for what was at home simmering in my slow cooker. And my stomach did right to stay true -- the smell wafting through the stairwell when we got home was a tantalizing prelude to a dinner that was absolutely delicious. I would be doing the world a disservice if I didn't share,* and so I give you --

Chipotle Pork Burrito Bowls

For the pork (recipe adapted from here) 
1 tbsp minced garlic (I used about 1 tsp dried minced garlic)
2 tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
1 cup diced white onion
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (I used 2 limes)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 bay leaves (I didn't have any, so I left them out)
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 - 3 lbs pork loin

For the salsa (recipe from my friend, Ali)
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
1 bunch green onions, chopped
Handful of chopped cilantro (I used about a tbsp of freeze dried cilantro)
2 tsp coarse ground black pepper
Pinch of salt, to taste
1 1/2 tsp garlic salt
4-7 splashes Tabasco sauce

For the remaining toppings
Brown rice, cooked
Black beans, cooked
Cheese, grated (I used Colby Jack)
Romaine lettuce, shredded
Sour cream
Guacamole  

To cook the pork, stir together the garlic, chipotles, onion, lime juice, vinegar, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper and water in the bottom of a slow cooker. Cut the pork loin into four pieces, place in the slow cooker, and spoon some of the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours or on LOW for about 6-8 hours, until very tender and easy to shred. Discard the bay leaves (if used). Shred the meat and stir in any liquid that was not absorbed during the cooking process.

To prepare the salsa, put all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse briefly. 

To assemble the burrito bowl top pork over brown rice, then add black beans, salsa, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole. Devour and enjoy!


Partly because the recipe made so much, but mostly because it was so good, we'll be eating these again for dinner tonight. #yesplease
 

 *But since food photography is not something I do well, I would also be doing the world a great disservice if I included a photo. Sorry. If you need a picture, check out Chipotle's restaurant page because that's the idea I was going for with this meal.

No comments: