wading through motherhood with all my ducks in a row

*****

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

gearing up

Yesterday, as I turned the page on my calendar, the weather, as if in acknowledgment of the beginning of a new and traditionally colder month, did, too. The temperatures hovered in the mid-40s, and there was a decided chill in the air -- enough to convince me that it was time to pull out and start using our winter gear.

Just as every spring, when I pull out last year's pair of sandals and realize just how much my boy's feet have grown, so, too, every fall, when I dig our cold weather clothes out from under the bed, I discover that our collection of hats and mittens no longer fit, are missing partners, or, heaven forbid, don't coordinate with the coats.

Yesterday was that day. As I sorted through what we had and what we were missing, I came to the conclusion that both boys needed hats and mittens that fit and coordinated better than last year's stash. As it often does with me, the task to outfit them quickly turned into a quest. I went to four different stores in search of the right sizes and colors, and just when my efforts were beginning to feel futile, I conquered. Garrett is happy with his penguin hat, Caleb can't take his hat off, thanks to the blessed chin strap, and the mitten clips I invested in at the end of last season will hopefully keep any of their new mittens from straying into the great unknown. They're warm, and cute, and now my boys are ready to be outside this winter.



The task now is to gear myself up mentally for another long, cold winter. I can do this, right?

4 comments:

Whitney said...

Because I've never lived here during the winter I don't know whether to be nervous. I grew up in VA and the winters sometimes were mild and sometimes there was a lot of snow. Utah winters seem to last for 8 months with lots of snow and freezing temperatures (we're talking frozen nose hairs here) so I feel like I've been through some pretty cold winters. But I remember hearing last year about blizzard-like storms that dumped on NY, so I feel like I should be nervous. I always think I'm ready for winter until it actually starts to get cold. Then I immediately miss fall and spring.
P.S. I love their hats!!!! I'm thinking I might have to get one like Caleb's for Blake so I won't worry about it always coming off.

Peter and Mandy said...

Maybe you'll get lucky and have a mild winter since you got stuck with an awful summer.

Kimberly said...

So cute! I love the penguin hat too! The weather here turned cold suddenly with Nov 1st too. Crazy! But, our cold was just enough to put on a light jacket or wear a long sleeved shirt. Still not ready for winter clothes. (And, once again, our winter clothes are not quite what y'alls are.) I wish y'all the best of luck with this winter! At least you have 2 good walkers this year!

heath said...

Those hats are really too great. Love it!